Friday, October 7, 2011

Love Story

Surely, by now everyone has heard "Love Story" by Taylor Swift. 
If you haven't heard it, you must live under a rock.

-----
"Romeo take me somewhere we can be alone
I'll be waiting all there's left to do is run
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess
It's a love story baby just say yes."
-----
"Romeo save me, they try to tell me how to feel
This love is difficult, but it's real
Don't be afraid, we'll make it out of this mess
It's a love story baby just say yes"
-----

Now I want to share my love story. 

I was first chair in middle school band and everyone (including me) 
was expecting me to easily get first chair in high school as well. 
But when we had auditions, I got second.
SECOND.
I was soooo upset . . .
especially when I found out I was beaten
by a BOY from the other middle school. 
His name was Aaron. 
And I hated him. 
Today, I'm engaged to him. 

The first few days of band class I would not even speak to him,
much less look at him.
But over time I got over it and
we started talking and eventually became friends.
Well were we in band all four years of high school together
so Aaron ended up becoming one of my best friends.
We started dating in November 2007 during our junior year.
We graduated high school in 2009 and went to different colleges
but that only made our relationship stronger.

Aaron proposed on June 2, 2011,
right around our three and a half year anniversary.
He took me on a picnic to Berry and we sat near Swan Lake.   
There were lots of ducks that kept following us around . 
We were sitting there eating and he said he had a song 
he wanted to play for me to see if I recognize it.
Then we were looking at the clouds and he started to play it. 
I listened a minute and realized it was an instrumental 
version of our song, "I'll Be" by Edwin McCain. 
 Then he asks if I want to dance. 
Well of course I didn't really want to because there
were other people around and
we would be dancing in a field to music
they couldn't hear.
So I kinda felt stupid but stood up anyways.
How could I say no?
Once it had been a few seconds it was okay. 
It was pretty nice. 
But my mind was thinking about those people watching us. 
So I was a little caught off guard when he says
"Is that my heart beating? I guess I'm just nervous"
Then I noticed his heart was beating quite rapidly and I could feel it.
I asked why he's nervous.
The music stopped.
Coming from the speakers, I hear his voice.
He's saying all these really sweet things and quoting our song.
I was so confused and so focused on listening to what he was saying
that I don't even know what Aaron was doing during all of this.
I was staring at the grass.
Soaking in every word he said.
Then the recording says "And now I have a question for you.."
He dropped to one knee and pulled out a ring box.
As he opened the ring box, the ring fell over.
He fumbled around and fixed it.
"Will you marry me?"
I have never seen him so nervous.
I was noticing it now because he mentioned it.  
I think it's funny that he was so nervous.
Was he afraid I might say no?
Of course I said yes.

-----

It's a love story baby just say yes.


No comments:

Post a Comment