Thursday, January 5, 2012

Personal Statement Workshop

Last night, I watched a personal statement workshop by Kaplan and I think it will really help me alot. I took four pages of notes while watching and today, I'm going to start re-writing my personal statement to make it better.

It started with an overview of the entire admissions process. 
Then it focused on  the role of the personal statement and writing the personal statement. 
It ended with a "before and after" essay editing session and 
any time left at the end was an open Q&A.

They gave several helpful tips. 
Tip #1 - Submit early!
Tip #2 – You can control the process.
Tip #3 – This personal statement is your interview in writing.
Tip #4 – Know your audience.
Tip #5 – Being unique means showing your passion.
Tip #6 – Choose your stories carefully.
Tip #7 – Show, don’t tell.
Tip #8 - Find a partner.

Today, I'll be working on improving what I have already written
based on the advice gained from this workshop. 




No comments:

Post a Comment