Thursday, January 5, 2012

Newsflash

So, according to my last post, Mercer is my top choice, followed by MCG and Vanderbilt.
But I think that has all changed. 
The more I look into Vanderbilt, the more I really like it. 
So now I think Vanderbilt is my first choice followed by Mercer and then MCG.
In no particular order, here's fifteen reasons why:
 

Reason #1: Curriculum.
Mercer has a problem-based curriculum with no lectures, 
just group discussions with other students. Vanderbilt has both small group discussions and lectures.

Reason #2: Early Decision.
There is no early decision program at Vanderbilt. Mercer has it and if accepted, it's binding and I must go to Mercer. I want to keep all my options open so I will no longer be applying early decision for Mercer.

Reason #3: Location.
Vanderbilt is three hours away. Mercer is 3 hours to the Macon campus and 6 hours to the Savannah campus. I have been told that the Savannah campus would be slightly better. 

Reason #4: Research.
I'm sure I could do research at Mercer if I really wanted to, but at Vanderbilt, it's required to do a research project your first two years. Did I mention Vanderbilt offers stem cell research and NASA research????

Reason #5: Insurance.
We will be in quite a dilemma with insurance after we graduate and getting married would only complicate it further. Mercer does not offer insurance. Vanderbilt does and they would accept Aaron on as a dependent.

Reason #6: Nashville, TN.
There is no better city (besides Hollywood and maybe Atlanta) to be in for what Aaron wants to do. Nashville is the music city! Maybe I'll meet Taylor Swift.

Reason #7: MD/MBA degree.
Vanderbilt offers several dual degree programs. The MD/MBA program would take 5 years instead of 4 and you come out as an MD with a Master's in Business Administration.  Normally it would take 6 years to get both degrees but in the dual degree program at Vanderbilt, you would save a year. . if I decided to go that route.

Reason #8: Housing.
Neither school has on-campus housing for med students. Mercer doesn't seem to do much to help you find any either but Vanderbilt does. Mercer says they have an office or something specific for that but you have to go visit or call them and I'm pretty sure all they would do is hand you a stack of local flyers and refer you to someone else. Vanderbilt goes farther and has TEN pages published in the Paddle (see below) specifically about housing and how to find it and what it's like.  

Reason #9: The Paddle.
The Paddle is a student survival guide to Vanderbilt School of Medicine. It's a tradition and is published every year. It is literally a GOLD MINE of great information. I literally looked through all 206 pages and afterward, I had an idea of what it's like to be a Vandy student and I wanted to be one too. I have no idea what it's like to be a Mercer student. 

Reason #10: Student Hosting. 
Vanderbilt has a student hosting program and you can visit and stay overnight or for a weekend on campus with a current student. Mercer does not offer this insight, as far as I'm aware of.

Reason #11: Internal Medicine Clerkship
The clerkship at Mercer is 12 weeks. At Vanderbilt, it's 11 weeks. Not that big of a difference to sway you to one school or another but in the long run, I think it just adds to the pro-Vanderbilt argument.

Reason #12: The Anchor, Lighthouse, Oar, and Sail.
Similar to the Paddle, but these are survival guides for each specific year of medical school put together by past students. Mercer has nothing like this. 

Reason #13: Blair School of Music.
Aaron can go to Vanderbilt too and get a second Bachelors in music! We would finally be on the SAME campus together.

Reason #14: The Colleges.
When accepted to Vanderbilt, students are randomly assigned to one of four colleges, each named after a former Dean of the medical school—BatsonChapmanGabbe, and Robinson. Each college consists of about 100 students from all four years of medical school. Each college has two college mentors, several faculty  affiliate advisors and  several fourth year med students that serve as student affiliate advisors. Together, the College Mentors, Faculty Affiliate Advisors, and Student Affiliate Advisors strive to produce a "home within a home", proving students with a ripe environment of academic and career mentoring as well as support and encouragement in maintaining wellness and balance in many other domains of life. In addition to providing students with individual counseling and assisting them in finding success in medical school, the Colleges Program plays a significant role in many student events throughout the year including the College Cup, Wellness Retreats, Pumpkin Carving, and the Shade Tree Trot (a charity event for the student-run free health clinic). Plus, this totally makes me think of Hogwarts. 

Reason #15: Tuition.
Vanderbilt is cheaper than Mercer.


I feel like I was just looking into Mercer because everyone goes there or MCG. They're the med schools in Georgia. But when I looked into other schools, I found Vanderbilt and I'm glad I did. It seems to be just what Aaron and I need and what I'm looking for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment