Saturday, October 27, 2012

Red Hot



I love Taylor's new album!! 
It's very different and I like the songs, some more than others, but I think the three new songs released with the deluxe edition from Target are superior to most of the others she released, because they are more ...real and exposed, like her other songs. 
 
 State of Grace
Taylor described this one as a "song that sounds like the feeling of falling in love in an epic way." This one is about Jake Gyllenhaal. I really like it and the music is awesome. I absolutely love the way she says 'you're my Achilles heel.'

 Red
This one is pretty much my favorite song (as a whole) from the album. 
It's also about Gyllenhaal.

 Treacherous
This one is most likely referring to John Mayer. 
This one is just okay. The line 'this slope is treacherous' just feels weird to me. 
It's almost like it feels more like twangy country, which I don't like.  
Initially, I wasn't crazy about this song. But after listening to it a few more times all the way through, I absolutely love the second half of this song. I think it's my favorite part of the whole album. 

 "Two headlights shine through the sleepless night And I will get you, get you alone. Your name has echoed through my mind and I just think you should, think you should know,that nothing safe is worth the drive and I will follow you, follow you home... I'll follow you, follow you home"

 I Knew You Were Trouble
When this song was released, I initially thought it was weird. The more I listened to it, though, the more I liked it. It's such a different vibe from her, but now I think I love it. It's so catchy!! This one is about Harry Styles from One Direction. Taylor had one date with him, then he went gallivanting off to Australia and 'found some trouble' with another girl.

All Too Well
This song is sweet. It's your classic Taylor. It just screams Jake Gyllenhaal.

22
Whoa. What? I love the tone of her voice for the verses of this one! This is such a fun song. It refers to her friends Ashley Avignone, Dianna Agron, Claire Callaway, and Selena Gomez.

I Almost Do
I really like the chorus in this one. I was unaware that Taylor dated Adam Young from Owl City. This song is clearly about him. (Side note: "Enchanted" was also about this guy.) A convincing argument could also be made for John Mayer.

We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
I LOVE this song. It's this album's equivalent to "Picture To Burn." Some say Gyllenhaal again, but it could also be Will Anderson.. from the band Parachute? I have never heard of him. Or that band. 

Stay Stay Stay
I love love love the music for this one. It's so happy and peppy and you just want to bounce along to it. It's a cute song. This one is more about her THEN current boyfriend, Conor Kenedy. The album dropped Monday. Today is Friday and there's talk flying that they are no longer together, due to Taylor's busy schedule and long distance.

The Last Time
Gary Lightbody joins Taylor on this song. Never heard of him before. He sounds so much like Michael Buble to me. When the tempo picks up, it sounds like a Lady Antebellum song. This one refers to Gyllenhaal again. Geez, they must have had a whirlwind on/off relationship because like half of these songs seem to be about him! The harmonies of this song are gorgeous and effortless. The voices of Gary Lightbody and Taylor Swift mesh so well together. "You open your eyes into mine."

Holy Ground
So upbeat!! But I like it. I love the way she says 'was holy ground.'
This one follows “Forever and Always,” “Last Kiss,” and “Better Than Revenge.” Yep. Joe Jonas. But “Holy Ground” seems to say she's finally at peace with this now. 

Sad Beautiful Tragic
Again, classic Taylor. This one is a toss up. It could be about Mayer or Gyllenhaal. 
The best bet? Her parents' recent divorce.
 
The Lucky One
I love the chorus for this one!! I just want to sway along with it. This song was close to being another one of my favorites until I heard it had a bad word in it. C'mon Taylor. She hasn't used a bad since that first album. That section of the song is really weird to me because of the bad word. That's not Taylor. I don't really wanna listen to this one anymmore now. This song could be about Joni Mitchell, who is one of Taylor's idols and songwriting inspirations. Taylor is going to play her in a secret, biopic. Another option could be Shania Twain. It could also be referring to the hard life of being famous.

Everything Has Changed
This song features Ed Sheeran, who I had also never heard of. I like this one too. The harmonies aren't as pretty and smooth as 'The Last Time.' This one basically screams Conor Kennedy. It sucks though that she bought a $4.5 million home down the street from him, and now they are reportedly split...

Starlight
This one is obviously about Bobby and Ethel Kennedy, Conor's grandparents, written from her (Ethel's) perspective as an ode to young love. 
I really like this one. It's sweet.

Begin Again
This one could refer to Will Anderson, but most likely it's about Conor Kennedy, referring back to Gyllenhaal in the beginning. I really like this one too. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BONUS SONGS (deluxe edition) 
I love the bonus songs!!! These are so classic Taylor and I keep them on repeat. 

The Moment I Knew
This one is blatantly about Gyllenhaal. He didn't show up for Taylor's 21st birthday party. She knew it was over. This one is so sad. I adore the chorus.
 
Come Back... Be Here
This one is probably about Gyllenhaal too.
Love it.

Girl at Home
Perhaps Styles or Jonas. Very catchy and I really like it.  

Red (original demo recording)
Eh. I like the album version better. 

State of Grace (acoustic) 
 Oh goodness, I am obsessed with this one. 

Treacherous (original demo recording)
Eh. It's not much different from the album version.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My favorites?
Red is probably my favorite favorite.
State of Grace
State of Grace (acoustic)
 I Knew You Were Trouble 
We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
Begin Again 
Come Back..Be Here
Girl At Home. 
The Moment I Knew 
Treacherous 

Least favorites?
Sad Beautiful Tragic. It's pretty but just so slow and sad.
The Lucky One. I don't cuss. I thought Taylor didn't either. 





No comments:

Post a Comment