Monday, December 17, 2012

Taylor Swift's Trouble

Taylor released the video for I Knew You Were Trouble. It's her 23rd video and she premiered it on her 23rd birthday (December 13)! 

Well, first of all, the video is 5 minutes long. It begins with Taylor waking up in the middle of field surrounded by garbage and what seems to be remnants of a party the night before. Her hair is short with pink tips. She's wearing skinny jeans. Then for the first two minutes of the video, Taylor gives a monologue to a sequence of scenes showing a rough looking boy.

The monologue. 
"I think when it's all over, it just comes back in flashes, you know? It's like a kaleidoscope of memories. It just all comes back. But he never does. I think part of me knew the second I saw him that this would happen. It's not really anything he said, or anything he did, it was the feeling that came along with it. And the crazy thing is I don't know if I'm ever gonna feel that way again. But I don't know if I should. I knew as the world moved to fast, and burned too bright, but I just thought.. How can the devil be pulling you towards someone that looks so much like an angel when he smiles at you? Maybe he knew that, when he saw me. I guess I just lost my balance.  I think that the worst part of it all wasn't losing him, it was losing me."



The video shows the ups and downs of the relationship. It's very edgy. Punk. From bar fights to grimy hotels and partying too hard, Taylor's lover boy is just too rough for her and is tainting her. The video ends as the relationship did; Taylor left behind in a field as she says, "I don't know if you know you are until you lose who you are." Very different from her other stuff. 


Taylor said "I've written about 'shame on you, you broke my heart,' but I've never written about 'shame on me, you broke my heart. I knew when you walked in, you were going to be complete bad news and I ran toward you anyway. I believed you anyway. I fell for you anyway, even though every red flag was going up every step of the way," as her inspiration for the song. "We find ourselves where we are in that situation where we want to think we're the exception. We want to think we can change someone, tame a lion, or make a bad guy good ... But nine times out of ten we end up looking back going, 'Shame on me. Should have seen that one coming!'"





No comments:

Post a Comment