Saturday, July 7, 2012

Meeting with Dr. McDade


On July 2, I met with my pre-med advisor, Dr. McDade. 

We started talking about my MCAT scores. 
He said my scores aren't competitive at most schools and they put me in trouble.
He even called them sub-par. 
Well, I knew they weren't great but he made it sound like they were really bad.
He thinks I should retake it. DARN. 
But I should only retake it this year if I'm certain my score will go up. 
Two average scores would be worse that just one, apparently. 

We discussed schools in Tennessee, at none of which I have a decent chance.
University of Tennessee (3.7 median GPA, 30M, $43,000/year)
East Tennessee (3.7 median GPA, 29O, $48,000/year). 
Vanderbilt (3.9 median GPA, 35Q, $40,000/year). 
Meharry (3.5 median GPA, 25N, $37,000/year). 

I told him of my thoughts of waiting a year. 
Aaron and I had discussed this alternative idea while driving back from Daytona Beach.
We both seemed to like it better and both felt less stressed and calm just thinking about it.

Dr. McDade said to retake the MCAT either next April/May or August/September.
He mentioned a student that applied last year with
 a GPA slightly higher than mine and a 25 who didn't get accepted anywhere they applied.
So through the MCAT, I have realized two things.
One, I have never been merely average and I really don't like it.
It makes me feel like a failure.
Two, I am greatly terrified of failure.

I asked if I have a chance of being accepted anywhere now.
He said the ONLY school I have a chance at is Mercer.
But it's not even a good chance.
More than likely I would be wait-listed..

Dr. McDade seemed to think that waiting a year, and even getting married first,
would be a great idea. He showed me a demographic chart and pointed out
that most applicants that are accepted are ages 22-24.

He told me of a girl last year that was in the same position I am (premed, end of junior year),
who walked into his office and had decided to go to PA school instead of med school.
I didn't even know what a PA is.. 

Dr. McDade said that if I still want to apply this year,
I need to let him know within a week or two
and get an updated personal statement to him for the premed committee soon
because they would have to interview me in the next THREE weeks! 
Whew. That's not enough thinking time for some huge decisions I have to make...


He said many times he wasn't trying to discourage me.
He was just being realistic.
He said I'll be successful no matter what I do
and I'm already a successful person for trying and getting this far.

No comments:

Post a Comment