Thursday, July 19, 2012

Personal Statement Draft 2


This is my second draft. 
It's not very different from the first. I think it's a little shorter.  
But still wayyyyy too long.


                 It was beautiful as it lay in my hand, despite the swelling and abnormal coloring. The excitement within me was growing as I began to realize this was reality. I gently rolled it around in my hands, suppressing the urge to squeal like a little girl. I had waited so long for a moment like this; a moment experiencing the marvels of human body hands-on.
                 The heart monitor beeped occasionally in the background. The scalpel reflected light beautifully as it lay on the tray along with various other tools. The smell of iodine lingered in the air. I watched silently as the first incision was made and a tiny drop of blood rolled down the skin of the patient. The laparoscopic camera was inserted into the patient’s abdomen and I found myself feeling curiosity and excitement. Fascinated by the complexity of the human body, I was thrilled to experience my first look inside a living human body. It was so interesting to watch as the surgeon navigated the small camera through the abdominal cavity and under the liver until it came into focus; we were looking at a swollen gallbladder. Watching the surgeon maneuver various tools inside the body to snip the ducts and main blood vessels of the gallbladder reminded me of the delicate motions of a ballerina. Dazed and amazed watching the gallbladder removed via the navel, I didn’t immediately hear the nurse telling me to put on gloves. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing; the nurse was going to let me hold a gallbladder. She placed the warm organ into my open hand and I wanted to jump for joy. I was actually holding an organ. I was holding an organ that had just been removed from a living human body. An organ that only minutes before had been part of this patient, imbedded under the liver with blood pulsing through it. This was incredibly exciting to me and right then I knew that I wanted to follow through and become a doctor.   
                 The gallbladder removal was not the first surgery I had shadowed. It was the last and, by far, the most exciting surgery I had watched in a series of shadowing physicians. During that shadowing adventure, I had spent about fifteen hours in observing in the operating room shadowing two doctors, Dr. Williams, a plastic surgeon, and Dr. Fromm, a general surgeon. I saw several different procedures ranging from a gastric plication and breast biopsies to a tummy tuck and a nasal lacrimal duct obstruction. I had only ever been on the patient side so it was very thrilling for me to put on scrubs and be in the operating room during a procedure on the physician side. I enjoyed shadowing and it only intensified my desire to become a physician.  I feel like I learned quite a bit just from observing but they were missing one thing. I had very little patient contact and I didn’t see any doctor-patient interactions, which was a problem. 
                 The problem was resolved when I shadowed another doctor, Dr. Carson, at his private practice of internal medicine. As I sat patiently in the waiting room, the receptionist was a busy bee handling patients walking in the door and answering phone calls. The receptionist asked how I wanted to practice medicine. I said I was looking into working as a hospitalist without any practice of my own to see a wide variety of patients every day. But as I was answering her, I realized that if I work as a hospitalist, I probably wouldn’t see most of my patients again and I didn’t like that. After that, I spent the majority of the day talking to the receptionist about how the office , watching the nurse check blood pressures, and observing Dr. Carson himself. By the time I left, my answer to the receptionist’s question had changed. As I watched Dr. Carson interact with his patients, I could feel how genuinely he cares for each one. He told me multiple times how much he enjoys his job and can’t picture himself doing anything else. My answer changed because I realized I want what he has; his own practice and a large patient base that he cares for. I realized that when I was younger, I was strictly focused on the academic side of medicine. Now, my focus has shifted. Instead of losing focus of the academics behind medicine, my perspective has been broadened to include the desire to have more patient interactions and to build long-term relationships with patients.  
                 With the right focused purpose behind my desire, my other qualifications seem to fall into place in helping to prepare me for the long, difficult path that lies ahead before I reach my goal of being a physician. Being involved in several different things throughout my academic career has taught me valuable lessons and developed many important characteristics that will carry me far in life. Tutoring fellow students, being a biology teaching assistant, gaining research experience, and performing clarinet have all played a role in shaping who I am today. I really enjoy the opportunity to tutor other students. I help them understand the material on a deeper level and share valuable studying and time management skills. Through this opportunity, I have gained insight in helping others and developed better study habits as well. There is no greater satisfaction than seeing a student I tutored light up with joy because they succeeded and knowing that I played a major role in helping them reach that point. The experience of being a teaching assistant was also rewarding. It challenged me academically and I greatly enjoyed working closely with a faculty member. Through preparing weekly quizzes and grading assignments, I could see how I was becoming more responsible. I feel like through being a teaching experience I had to develop my leadership skills and be a role model to some degree. I was given another opportunity to work closely with a faculty member. From now until I graduate, I am a research assistant for Dr. John Graham, a professor at Berry College. He is interested in developmental stability and fluctuating asymmetry. We use various strains of Drosophila melanogaster as well as a variety of environmental stressors to affect both the genetic and environmental factors of development. Through this opportunity, I will gain valuable research experience on a long-term level as well as responsibility and understanding how much effort and time goes into conducting research and publishing papers.  
                 Some of my fondest memories of high school and college revolve around my clarinet. I have been playing for almost nine years and out of all my other qualifications, I feel like this one has made the biggest impact on my life. My high school band director taught me not only to be a better musician, but also to be better a better person. He taught me the importance of perseverance by pushing me to practice and continually improve, highlighting the truth behind the words practice makes perfect. I learned responsibility and dependability because he placed me in several leadership positions that demanded nothing less than an individual beyond capable of handling the position. He told me stories to instill the value of integrity because it softens the heart and makes a person kind. Last but not least, he taught me how to live life to the fullest by having enthusiasm. These five character traits form the acronym PRIDE, the epitome of my high school band. The things I learned through band bubbled over into my classes and I even carried them to college. I will always carry them tucked in my back pocket to remind me of all my band director taught me, to remind me of the wonderful memories band has given me, and to remind me to always show PRIDE in everything I do.
                 Medical school seems to be the only option for what I have been striving for. Working hard along the way led not only to knowledge, but also to revelations and self-improvement. The challenges and opportunities I have faced have allowed me to gain insight into myself and be self-correcting. These values are combined with other skills that have not been perfected but are continuing to be refined. 
                 Whether it was practicing a hard piece of music on my clarinet and not giving up until I could play it or tutoring other students in biology, these experiences along the road of my academic career have molded me into the person I am today by teaching me valuable character traits like discipline, compassion, integrity, and the true value of hard work. Reflecting on my background, I can’t help but smile. Despite a few bumps along the way, I am proud of what I have accomplished and can only look forward to what lies ahead with eager eyes. Being in band opened my eyes to characteristics I didn’t already appreciate. Berry College only contributed by emphasizing service to others and highlighting the important balance of educating your head, heart, and hands.
                I have wanted to be a doctor for as long as I can remember. As I look back, I realize when I was younger, I wanted the high salary and the nobility that comes with the stethoscope. I think I wanted to be a doctor because it looked cool on TV. I was interested strictly in the science aspect of it and this only intensified as I grew older and learned more about science. I was considering a specialty in cardiology. But now, I can say that this has all changed. After experiencing first-hand what being a doctor is like through clinical observations, I have realized medicine goes well beyond having a good job and looking cool on TV. Primary care is about what’s behind the stereotypical life of a doctor you see on TV. It involves a genuine passion to help people and a desire to build long term relationships with patients so that in the process, the physician will grow and develop as a person as well. I want to be able to help people for any type of problem they have rather than focusing on a certain specialty. I want to build long term relationships with patients through my own practice of internal medicine in Georgia and I feel my background has prepared me to do so and reach my destiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment