Thursday, July 19, 2012

Personal Statement Draft 3



This is my third draft. 
I think it's much better, but still needs some work. 
It's a great deal shorter but is still too long. 
The ending needs the most work. My last paragraph is just awful! 


                It was beautiful as it lay in my hand, despite the swelling and abnormal coloring. The excitement within me was growing as I began to realize this was reality. I gently rolled it around in my hands, suppressing the urge to squeal like a little girl. I had waited so long for a moment like this; a moment experiencing the marvels of the human body hands-on. The heart monitor beeped occasionally in the background. The laparoscopic camera was inserted into the patient’s abdomen and I found myself feeling curious and excited. Fascinated by the complexity of the human body, I was thrilled to experience my first look inside a living human. It finally came into focus; we were looking at a swollen gallbladder. Dazed and amazed, I didn’t immediately hear the nurse telling me to put on gloves. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing; the nurse was going to let me hold a gallbladder. She placed the warm organ into my open hand and I wanted to jump for joy. I was actually holding an organ. I was holding an organ that had just been removed from a living human being. An organ that only minutes before had been part of this patient, embedded under the liver with blood pulsing through it. This was incredibly exciting to me.
                Holding the gallbladder ignited my desire to shadow more, observing any procedure I could. Eager to learn and experience medicine closely, I observed multiple surgeries.  It wasn’t until afterwards that I realized there was a problem. Shadowing surgery, while incredibly interesting, lacked patient contact for me. I waited in the operating room as one patient was wheeled out and the next one rolled in. I didn’t get any interaction with patients because they were all under anesthesia when I saw them!  In light of this, I dug deeper pursuing my interests in science and medicine, looking for patient contact.
               I had to look no further when I shadowed Dr. Carson at his private practice of internal medicine. As I sat patiently in the waiting room, the receptionist asked how I wanted to practice medicine some day. I hadn’t put too much thought into it at this point and said I was considering working as a hospitalist without any practice of my own to see a wide variety of patients every day. But once all those words escaped my mouth, I wanted to reel them back in. I realized that working as a hospitalist would not allow me to build relationships with patients because I probably wouldn’t see any of them again. I didn’t like that. I spent the majority of the day talking to the receptionist about how the office works, watching the nurse check blood pressures, and observing Dr. Carson himself diagnose patients. When I left that afternoon, I felt like my answer to the receptionist’s question had completely changed. I was already leaning towards internal medicine myself based on the science behind it, but I hadn’t considered the patient aspect of it until I met Dr. Carson. Watching him interact with patients, I could feel how genuinely he cares for each one. My answer changed because I realized I want what he has; his own practice and a large patient base that he knows personally beyond their medical chart. This led me to seek other opportunities to interact with people, such as tutoring, working as a teaching assistant, and becoming a weekly volunteer at Redmond Hospital.
                Outside of the classroom, I have hobbies like painting my nails, reading and playing clarinet. Some of my fondest memories revolve around my clarinet. I have been playing for almost nine years and this experience has greatly impacted my life. My high school band director, Mr. Barnett, taught me not only to be a better musician, but also to be better a better person. He taught me the importance of perseverance by pushing me to practice and continually improve, highlighting the truth behind the words practice makes perfect. I learned responsibility and dependability because he placed me in several leadership positions that demanded nothing less than an individual beyond capable of handling the position. He instilled the value of integrity within me. Last but not least, he taught me how to live life to the fullest by having enthusiasm. These five character traits form the acronym PRIDE, the epitome of my high school band. The things I learned through band bubbled over into my classes and I carried them to college. I will always carry them tucked in my back pocket to remind me of all my band director has taught me and of the wonderful memories band has given me, and to remind me to always show PRIDE in everything I do.
                In elementary school, they ask what you want to be when you grow up. Surrounded by future princesses and monster truck drivers, I said doctor. I’m not sure where the desire came from, especially in a family without any physicians. Growing older, the answers turned into being future veterinarians and lawyers but my answer never changed. I wondered if it was just because that’s what I had always said and I didn’t want to consider another answer. I started to question myself and my future. But the experiences I have had banished any doubt that I had and showed me the real side of being a doctor, beyond the stereotypical lifestyle I saw on TV. Shadowing is thrilling and leaves me wanting to see more, wanting to have my own experiences as a physician. The patient contact I have had fills a space in my heart that nothing else previously could. They light up with joy at the thought that I’m there to help them any way I can and I can also lend an ear to just listen to them. Tutoring other students taught me how to communicate better and to handle problems. Being a teaching assistant challenged me academically and allowed me to expand my responsibility and leadership skills.
                Reflecting on my background, I cannot help but smile. Whether it was not giving up while practicing a hard piece of music or tutoring other students in biology, these experiences along the road of my academic career have molded me into the person I am today by teaching me valuable character traits like discipline, compassion, integrity, and the true value of hard work. These values are combined with other skills that have not been perfected but are continuing to be refined. I gained insight into myself and was able to be self-correcting when needed. Yes, I have wanted to be a doctor for as long as I can remember. Maybe when I was younger, I wasn’t exactly sure why I wanted it or I wanted it for the wrong reasons. But now, I can say all that has changed. After experiencing first-hand what being a doctor is really like through clinical observations, I have realized medicine goes well beyond having a good job. My aspiration of becoming a physician has been reinforced multiple times, each experience more exciting and meaningful than the previous. Perhaps my answer to that familiar question never strayed from medicine because I was meant to care for patients and I was only slowly realizing it. Primary care involves a genuine passion to help people stay healthy with a desire to build long term relationships with patients so that in the process, the physician grows and develops as well. My perspective has been broadened to include the desire to have more patient interactions. With the right focused purpose behind my desire, I can only look forward to what lies ahead with eager eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment