Friday, August 31, 2012

Personal Statement Review - Dr. Davis

After chatting with Dr. Davis on Tuesday, I sent her my personal statement 
(draft 4) and asked for some feedback. My thoughts are in white.


 Her response:

So take everything I say with a grain of salt. 
Like maybe something smaller than a grain...
(oh boy.. I start bracing myself.)

So something small but easy to take out would be the talk about the nail art.

 (aw, Sergei said I should include it!) It doesn't tie in like the tutoring (this is true) and you can put this on your application in another way. (oh!! that's a good idea!) 
It's cool, (yay!) but I just don't think this is the place for it.

Also, I know what you're trying to do in the first paragraph. (okay...) You probably have been advised to do something like you're doing in the first paragraph, (yeah...) but I don't like it. (Aww! I'm so proud of my intro!) It seems like a stereotypical way to try and not be stereotypical. (Well that's dumb.) But instead of grabbing the readers attention to make you stand out, I think it will only make you seem like more of the same. (I disagree. In the beginning, I am trying to convince them to continue reading. Later in the draft is where I make my case for why I stand out.)

All in all I don't think it's bad, but I would try to show more of you. Be genuine. Don't just say things you think they want to here. Yes, you will have to do that. But I think you want to be as honest as possible. So maybe you know you've always wanted to be a doctor and shadowing has confirmed that further, but how does your story differ from anyone else? (that's where I'm having difficulty..pinpointing what makes me standout) I think you're probably pretty interesting (aww! thanks!!) and you should focus on that. Even talking about something that you've struggled with more and overcome might add some pizzazz. (hmm..what have I struggled with?..being super shy?) I just think they are going to read a 1000 essays where someone has always wanted to be a doctor and shadowed some people. (well yeah when you put it like that it sounds bad) I think you're selling yourself short (aww!). You've got more than that. I'm not sure exactly what it is (apparently I don't know either), but really search for it. You need to sell them. Not just tell them why you want to become a doctor, but why should they let you in...

Again, overall I think you've got some great stuff (I like the clarinet bit). (yay!)
And also remember that grain of salt I mentioned...

If you want me to read through any other drafts or talk about it more with you, let me know. (yay! I will definitely take you up on that offer!) These things are REALLY hard to write!! (you can say that again..)

---------------------------------------


She was not as harsh as Sergei and was not as passive as Dr. Wood. I think Dr. Davis gave me some great constructive criticism and I will consider them all when working on my next draft. Gee, I wonder how many drafts I will end up having!? 


No comments:

Post a Comment