Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Words of Wisdom


So.. Dr. Davis is my favorite teacher, by far, that I have had at Berry. 
Possibly my favorite teacher ever, for several reasons. 

I had her for organic chem last year, both semesters. Yesterday, I ran into her in the science building. We chatted about my MCAT score and I told her I was considering PA school instead now. She told me not to give up. I don't know if you could consider PA school giving up. Giving up on med school, yes, but not on being in the medical field. I kinda see it as a.. detour. She told me to take a year off and work/volunteer in a hospital/doctor's office to get experience and retake the MCAT. Working in that setting would benefit me no matter which route I took. It could beef up my med school app and I would get the required experience hours for PA school. 

I also met a new teacher in the biology department here while talking to Dr. Davis. His name is Mr. Mingone and he walked up to talk to her, but ended up talking to me after she had left and giving me lots of advice.

I highly value Dr. Davis' opinion. I also believe her husband is an MCAT teacher for Kaplan. So here's what I think I might do now. I will graduate in May. I'll take a year off and find somewhere to work/shadow/volunteer. This will get me the hours I need for PA school and also beef up my med school app. Aaron can get the job he wants to finally have and we can start saving money towards a wedding and starting our lives together. At the same time, I can be studying (long-term) for both the MCAT and the GRE. Then take them both in 2013 or 2014. Apply to PA school in April 2014 (when CASPA opens) and to med school in June 2014 (when AMCAS opens). Maybe we can squeeze a wedding into 2013 or wait until the next year, as long as we're married before I start school. 
Geez, I feel like we are going to be engaged forever.

Back up plan options:
(if both med school and PA school both don't work, oh Lord!)
Phlebotomy.. I heard it only takes two years. 
Nursing.. Eh. This would be the LAST resort. 
Research.. Possibly with stem cells. Fun! :) 
Teaching.. biology, of course, on the high school or college level. 
Cough, cough at Berry College.


I really wish I could figure this all out. Everything is still up in the air. 

No comments:

Post a Comment